- Contact Us:
Spiritual Resources for the Downturn
Below are several Jewish spiritual resources to assist Jews in the current economic crisis... traditional and innovative prayers, as well as excerpts of Jewish texts related to Parnassah (Livelihood/Sustenance), for reflection, study, discussion, and devotional use. Also below find sources about "Jews Supporting Jews" and the responsibility of both offering, seeking, and accepting help.
- Provider of All: Prayer for the High Holidays 5771 A prayer developed by the Connect to Care program for challenging economic times.
- Hanukkah in a Time of Economic Decline Thoughts and texts for clergy helping members of the community.
- Gratitude/Thanksgiving in Times of Economic Crisis Thoughts and texts for clergy helping members of the community.
- A Gathering in the Sukkah During Rough Economic Times Outline of a potential 45-60 minute program.
- Some Jewish Sources about Sustenance/Parnassah Quotes and guiding questions from a variety of Jewish sources about sustenance.
- Tekhineh for When One's Husband is Away Seeking to Earn a Living A Tekhineh, or "Women's Prayer," with themes about the need for protection and guidance; the fear of humiliation, dependence and mistreatment; the fear of judgment; the desire to strengthen the spirits of children; the identification with others who are downtrodden and oppressed.
- Prayer for Sustenance (Parnassah) This Tekhinah, or "Women's Prayer," is translated from the Yiddish and included in Techinah: Prayers and Religious Duties for the Daughters of Israel, a collection edited by Rabbi Simon Glazer (Hebrew Publication Company, 1930, pages 106-8). It highlights many issues common to any economic crisis situation - an awareness of dependence, the need for mutual support, psychospiritual challenges, the impact on family relationships, and more.
- 10 Healing Activities in Nature, with Lines from Psalms/Tehillim as Kavvanot Suggested activities, paired with a line from the Book of Psalms that one can say before, during or after, as a way of dedicating the experience to healing, growth, or insight.
- Jews Supporting Jews: Some Sources for Reflection or Discussion Jewish sources for reflection or discussion pertaining to Jews helping other Jews.
- Prayer for Parnassah/Livelihood This prayer appears in different forms in traditional prayer books, often at, or after, the conclusion of weekday morning prayer services.
- Traditional Daily Prayers for Parnassah/Sustenance/Livelihood In our daily prayers, concerns about livelihood/sustenance appear in a number of places and ways, including in the Amidah, the grace after meals, weekday morning services, the Ashrei, and the Shabbat before the New Moon.